Music Banter - View Single Post - Alternative: Style or status?
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2008, 08:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
scottsy
Untalented Drummer

I totally agree with everything said here about labelling styles and genres of music - we do tend to fit meaningless labels on bands or groups of bands to sorta describe what we like... and "Alternative" is one heck of a vague, kinda useless term...

But the record companies sure like us to fit into nice little sales categories. Really, though, there is great diversity within the "alternative" camp if you wanna put it that way... who, aside from ignorant people, could sit down and listen to Nirvana, Radiohead, Pearl Jam, and even newer "alternative" acts and say they sound like a cohesive style? There are common threads in some of the bands' music, but stylistically, they are all quite different, and lyrically they all deal with many and varied concepts...

So what is the basis for the category. Nothing really. Just an easy way to lump bands together for sales purposes and for fitting certain personality types with product...

I'd sooner forget the tag "alternative" and listen ot what the music is like. I've certain heard some great "alternative" bands and some truly ****ty ones... It's all in the listening.