Music Banter - View Single Post - Thriller versus Purple Rain
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 12:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss View Post
Agreed, I only like the singles from both albums and as fantastic as they are, they still don't make an album. It's undecided for me.
Hmm? But that's exactly how Purple Rain differs from Thriller and tops it: while Thriller is really only about the singles and title track with the rest being unremarkable filler, Purple Rain is all about the album tracks. The trio of The Beautiful Ones, Computer Blue and Darling Nikki (and particularly Darling Nikki) is nothing short of remarkable. Add to that the spectacular pop of the 5 singles, and you have a near perfect album. The only unnecessary track on the record is probably Baby I'm A Star, and it's still great all the same.

Then there's the point that Prince wrote and produced nearly the entire thing, whereas Jackson wrote less than half of the songs on Thriller. True, that says nothing about the music itself, but it says plenty about which individual is the bigger talent/artist.

In the end it's all a question of preference, but for those who "get" Purple Rain so to speak, I can't see any way that they could possibly prefer Thriller.

Sign 'O' The Times stands as a fantastic album without a single bad cut on it, and I can't see that anything aside from pure, sheer arrogance could lead one to call it rubbish.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote