Music Banter - View Single Post - For those who possess a driving licence
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 09:38 PM   #51 (permalink)
scottsy
Untalented Drummer

The Astra was a solid little vehicle, and it sounds like yours is especially so! And it's red so itis most likely faster (following my theory that all red cars go faster.... unscientific, I know...)

In Australia I owned (and technically still own a 1991 Nissan Pulsar - damn that was solid little vehicle... I only ever replaced one major part on it, the alternator, which didn't fully give up anyways, it was just showing warning indicators on the dashboard and at the shop... so I preventatively replaced it before it left me high and dry.

I drove the hell out of that car too... on long stints to our family beach house some 300km away, up and down hilly freeways, and it was my companion on my daily commute. It swallowed everything I gave it and then some, and I reutnred the favour by giving it a good polishing once a year, keeping it well serviced and tuned, and generally being a loving owner...

But anyways here in the states I own a Pontiac sunfire sedan - look I know these aren't highly regarded cars by car nuts over here, but it serves its purpose absolutely fantastically, uses hardly any gas and runs like a dream... I can deal with the fact that it's no BMW, because as much as I'd love to own one of those - my kids would ruin it anyways!

But anyways, when I was buying it I was doing some background research, and found out it is a very, very distant relative of my Nissan - in Australia Nissan had a product sharing deal with Holden (the local arm of GM) whereby Holden supplied engines for Pulsars - it turns out the engine in the Sunfire is a significantly upgraded version of the engine in the Pulsar I had - and its fairly obvious in driving it too.... very similar power delivery characteristics - the engine felt "homely" right away because its dynamics were so similar to the one I had driven all those kilometres back in Australia... it also suffers the same noise, vibration and harshness issues though...hmmmm...