Music Banter - View Single Post - No, it is you that is wrong (Israeli-Palestinian Conflict)
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 10:49 AM   #37 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

They used to say that a neo-con with a liberal who'd been mugged by reality.

I wouldn't call myself a neo-con, but I think i've been roughed up a little.

I'm not sure why the U.S. doesn't have a more isolationist approach to the whole debacle. During the presidental campiagn in the U.S., when asked about Darfur, John McCain said he thought we ought to engage in economic sanctions, not buying from that country and deinvesting in its companies and any that do business with the Sudan. Why we don't have a similar position here, I can't understand.

The other thing thats always confused the hell out of me about this situation is why both political parties are so stalwart on defending Isreal and why common people seem to think its an issue. One question that was asked to Joe the Plumber was "Do you agree with me that a vote for Barrack Obama is a vote for the death of Isreal?"

Forget the logic there, I'd like to know why he was concerned. Isn't a vote for John McCain a vote for the death of Iran? Why don't we care there?

Ethan had mentioned this was a war over a piece of fiction. My assumption is that he meant Holy texts, but I'd ask the same question replacing "fiction" with "policy." That is to say, policies made in the 40's should have as much bearing as, well, every thing else we did in teh 40's, little to none.

I'd also argue that Religion has little to do with it. Its the proclamation, and the name in which each side invokes, but it had to do with gentrification. Bascially people were thrown out of their homes, and so they blame the other guy, but they need a reason to do so. So they go with religion. (I don't think its that haphazard but you get the idea).

The U.S. and the rest of the Western Nations can do whatever the hell they want, this will be solved only when the nations involved have decided its gone too far. The issue I beleive their having is the same ones we have here on different matters. Old folks set in their ways aren't going to budge. So let them die. I'm not happy about innocent people dying but unless forign armies go in their and force politicians to see dead bodies up close, not much will change.

We have to wait for a child who's 6 siblings died in a bombing to get elected, and then hope he has the balls to challenge the electorate like LBJ did in the south.