Music Banter - View Single Post - Talkin' Bob Dylan
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 05:29 PM   #108 (permalink)
4ZZZ
Forever young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambient View Post
Can someone tell me or give me an example as to why this guy is so great? I started performing and someone came up to me after I played my first original and said I had a very unique voice (which was awesome) and said I had the effect of Bob Dylan. I didn't know whether to take that as a complement or an insult. I know a guy who told me he's a great musician, I just don't know why, at all.
In opera the Germans have a term called Sprechgesang and that roughly translates as sing speak. Dylan was the premier performer to use this style of vocal successfully in popular music. He opened the door for this style of unconventional singing to become conventional. He also had to be a profoundly brilliant songwriter and a good musician to carry this through. Dylan's discography alone has some of the greatest albums in the history of music and the reviews on this thread are well worth reading.

I will quote allmusic who say
Quote:
Bob Dylan's influence on popular music is incalculable. As a songwriter, he pioneered several different schools of pop songwriting, from confessional singer/songwriter to winding, hallucinatory, stream-of-conscious narratives. As a vocalist, he broke down the notions that in order to perform, a singer had to have a conventionally good voice, thereby redefining the role of vocalist in popular music. As a musician, he sparked several genres of pop music, including electrified folk-rock and country-rock. And that just touches on the tip of his achievements.
4ZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote