Music Banter - View Single Post - The 10 Track Mixtape Thread (Song Lists Without Links Will Be Deleted)
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2009, 03:31 PM   #691 (permalink)
anticipation
Music Addict

It Takes Two

this is my first contribution to this thread, but maybe not the last? i don't know, we'll have to see.

annnnnyways, this comp is about two-piecers/duos that make good music. the songs may not be they're best, but they're certainly some of my favorites. i hope you enjoy this, but more importantly i hope someone actually d/ls this shit.

1. Air Condition by Peter and Craig
it's not a big suprise to anyone who follows my posting that i'm a big peter and craig fan, so it shouldn't shock anyone that my comp leads off with one of their stronger tunes. these guys are a great band to see live, and i can think of only one word that accurately describes their music: happiness.

2. Until The Day I Die by Slingshot Dakota
this indie duo is from brooklyn, but isnt really associated with the whole crazy party scene out there. carly comando and tom patterson are crafting mellow jams with just keys and drums. i really enjoy their music as it's something that i'm not used to listening to anymore. plus it's great for pacing this comp.

3. Da Supafriendz by Vast Aire (w/ MF DOOM)
the first of two songs on this comp with DOOM involved, "Da Supafriendz" is a great track. vast aire proves his capability as a rapper who may not be getting all the recognition he deserves. nice beat too, i'm betting everyone will like the track just because DOOM's on it.

4. The Girl Is Mine by Michael Jackson and Paul McCartney
alright, so, i don't really like michael jackson at all because he's a fucking weirdo. i find thriller overrated, and that shit with him singing about the ABC's or whatever is lame to me too. however, this song reminds me of growing up down in mexico because it is really popular down there. it's so melodic and pleasant to listen to and it take me back to when i was younger.

5. To Be An MC by Oh No (Featuring K Jay)
one of the strongest tracks on Oh No's album "Exodus Into Unheard Rhythms", and one of my personal favorites. that album introduced me to the stones throw roster of musicians, as well as encouraged me to pursue an interest in rap. basically a huge mixtape, "Exodus..." showcases the talent of K Jay very well, and i find his style and flow to be top notch.

6. James and Wes by Jimmy Smith and Wes Montgomery
if i ever do a top 100 in my lifetime, "The Dynamic Duo" by jimmy smith and wes montgomery automatically earns a spot in the top 5. what i consider to be one of the greatest jazz duos ever formed, jimmy & wes are the epitome of what i think of when i think of jazz. this song is what their all about, and in essence, what i'm all about.

7. Steep cliff mountain type valley jaunt by 1994!
two piece hardcore band from lancaster, pennsylvania. they may be generic to some, but they are oh so sweet. taking their cues from tiny hawks, their predecessors in nearly every way, this duo is fast and powerful on their recent ep "Thank You Arms & Fingers". this tracks shows they have a melodic, slower side that is still catchy and relevent.

8. Migration by Redwing Blackbird
two piece guitar outfit from new hampshire that played at philly's two piece fest last year. folky-acoustic stuff that is a pleasure to listen to. their s/t just released, and even though it might be repetitive it's still damn good. enough said.

9. Never Dead by Viktor Vaughn (AKA MF DOOM) and M. Sayyid as Curtis Strifer
DOOM's precursor to madvillainy, this song is anything but predictable. a sick beat and two very able MC's makes "Never Dead" one of my favorite DOOM tracks ever. eloquent and smooth, sayyid is a perfect companion to DOOM's eclectic style.

10. Illuminate The Monsters by Tiny Hawks
the last song on this comp is by my favorite band ever. you have to finish strong right? anywho, tiny hawks are what every band should be in my opinion. short, sweet, and heavy. these guys were making music up in new hampshire while their contemporaries, orchid/ampere, were still getting their footing on the music scene. one of their best songs, and to me one of the most important tracks ever recorded.

that's it, now all that's left is to d/l it and tell me what you think:
gruesome twosomes.

Last edited by anticipation; 01-01-2009 at 04:07 PM.
anticipation is offline   Reply With Quote