Music Banter - View Single Post - Most overrated bands ever?
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2009, 09:35 PM   #1821 (permalink)
scottsy
Untalented Drummer

I don't think Nirvana are overrated... if anything, history has played down their significance by writing off Kurt Cobain as a psycho, manic depressive druggie and pointing to the fact that Dave Grohl has gone on to bigger and better things in his solo career.

If you ask most kids these days who "Nirvana" are or who Kurt Cobain is you'd get mostly blank looks and statements like "who is that? who are you talking about?"

I think Cobain's death overshadows the music quite considerably, as everyone tries to read " pre - suicidal behavior out of cobains lyrics, and then pick to pieces his writing around the time of his death for meanings and insights into why he committed suicide...

It's all about Cobain and why he died... not much about the band and its music - so in that regard it feels like the "band" Nirvana are slightly underrated. Against the myth and mystery of suicidal death, the music gets kinda overlooked.

Would love to have a "best of" album, with tracks especially selected by Dave Grohl and Krist Novelesic - that would make for a good compilation, actually!