Music Banter - View Single Post - Comus' Review Corner
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 02:07 PM   #73 (permalink)
Comus
I'm sorry, is this Can?

ALBUM #3

Joanna Newsom – The Milk-Eyed Mender

Cover:

Year: 2004
Genre: Indie/Folk
Tracklisting:
1. Bridges and Balloons (3:42)
2. Sprout and the Bean (4:32)
3. The Book of Right-On (4:29)
4. Sadie (6:02)
5. Inflammatory Writ (2:50)
6. This Side of the Blue (5:21)
7. En Gallop (5:07)
8. Cassiopeia (3:20)
9. Peach, Plum, Pear (3:34)
10. Swansea (5:07)
11. Three Little Babes (3:42)
12. Clam, Crab, Cockle, Cowrie (3:50)

Joanna Newsom, whos musical career started here with so much promise has managed to make one of the great albums of this decade. Driven by strong and confident lyrics with competent harps and a voice, that well… a voice that would stop traffic in the way Monroe’s upskirt shenanigans would. The album starts on a very strong note with the first two songs being some of her stronger efforts.

I must say that her voice will be your biggest stumbling block when it comes to being able to appreciate this brilliant music. She often sounds like a deranged child with several speech impediments, but once it gets under your skin you’ll love her forever. If you manage to listen until Inflammatory Writ you’ll pretty much be a fan for life. Sadie is the ultimate test, but after the introduction it’s incredibly satisfying.

Sprout and the Bean

My favourite song on the album has to be Inflammatory Writ, the strong, confident and rolling lyrics here are supported by a simple piano which perfectly complements Newsom’s vocals. The aggression and sheer strength of delivery works so well, and as for her inflammatory writ? Well she wrote it and was not inflamed one bit! Some lines in this song show that she is capable of being one of the great songwriters of our time. You’ll find yourself addicted to the sounds and little bits of vocals that she delivers as you get more and more intimate with Newsom’s voice, and it’s incredibly entrancing.

The relaxing feel of songs such as This Side of the Blue let you simply sit back and relax and enjoy the overall experience, and it adds a completely new depth to the album. I’ve always found the whole album to have a dark underbelly, a pretentious voice that runs through saying “I’m a bit to smart for the average listener”. And I think it just might be right, songs such as En Gallop and Inflammatory Writ do exude this feeling, and for me it makes the whole album so much stronger. Her confidence in being able to create something that reflects her underlying intelligence and eccentricity just makes the whole experience even more palatable.

Peach,Plum,Pear

This album gets better with every listen, there’s nothing better than being able to follow the lyrics and know when your favourite parts are imminent. The lyrical qualities here are absolutely stunning and it has rekindled my love for the written (sung) word. Joanna Newsom here has created something truly special, a folk album that not only has interesting and appropriate music and vocals; but also a lyrical aspect that outshines them both. It feels very organic and the whole albums flows with ease. The Milk-Eyed Mender is without a doubt the best release from 2004, get it, get it now, PM’s are as always, welcome.

9.7/10
Originally Posted by antonio
classical music isn't exactly religious, you know?
um
last.fm

Last edited by Comus; 01-05-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Comus is offline   Reply With Quote