Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 05:31 PM   #254 (permalink)
Dr. Yellow Black
Level 12 Paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsy View Post
HUGE fan of Adore... it got totally dragged around inthe dirt by critics and so called "hardcore" fans of the band, but it's some of the most heartfelt, beautiful and distinctively different writing we've heard from Corgan. I love the fact that he made songs that didn't fit the Smashing Pumpkins "norm" or expected style, and he went with heartfelt honesty. There's barely a distorted guitar on the thing, and songs don't scream out to crescendos, they kinda float mournfully - in chorus with the feelings of their writer at the time. It's a beautiful, transitional album, perhaps more about growing up, maturing, than any one ever gave it credit for. It sounds like its creator was struck with so many conflicting emotions and crises that it had to come out the way it did.

I may never get concensus on this, but I always feel it stands up with the best of the band's work.
Oh yeah, it is by far one of their most underrated albums. Behold the Nightmare and For Martha are two of the Pumpkins best songs.

Call of Duty is a disgrace.
Dr. Yellow Black is offline   Reply With Quote