Music Banter - View Single Post - The Alfred Top 25
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 08:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Alfred
one big soul

25. Cancer Bats "Birthing The Giant" (2006)

What it is: Heavy punk rock
Favorite track: "French Immersion"

I don't really know where to start with Cancer Bats. Their sound blends the heaviness and aggressiveness of metal with the simplicity and energy of punk rock, all with a southern edge. Birthing The Giant is an impressive debut from the Bats, with big metallic riffs, crazy lyrics, and amazing energy. The purpose here is clear, and that purpose is fun.

For a band with a complete lack of singing, Cancer Bats have hooks coming out their fingernails, and here it seems to be the lyrics, and Liam Cormier's aggressive vocals definitely suit the sound. Simple, yet effective lines such as "Let's do this!" from French Immersion or "We are the ones who'll die!" from Golden Tanks make you want to yell right along with him.

Instrument-wise, the Cancer Bats are fairly minimalistic. But this doesn't mean that you won't find hooks in their instrumentals. Often times at the end of a verse or chorus, they'll thrown in a little riff, usually played by both the bassist and the guitarist. The lack of singing also forces you to notice the instruments more, how they change the mood and feel of the song.

This album isn't brilliant, groundbreaking, and has no diversity at all, but it's energetic, and intense, and that's what I look for in a modern punk rock album. "Let's do this!" has become something of a catchphrase with me and one of my Cancer Bats-listening friends. What I like about Birthing The Giant is how simple, yet effective it is. It's like The Ramones all over again.

Listen to it, let it take you for a wild ride.