Music Banter - View Single Post - the *** sex & religion thread
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 03:52 PM   #75 (permalink)
cardboard adolescent
;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetwaves View Post
i'm obviously aware that any meaning in my life is constructed out of nothing, but how is that relevant?

by the way, your statement that "life is meaningless" makes no sense unless meaning exists in the first place.
that's not true, meaning is a property of language and not of life. language is something we drape over life, and we have a bad habit of confusing the two. of course, then meaninglessness is also simply a property of language and not of life, but the statement is trying to express something that can't really be put into words... an existential rather than intellectual truth, if you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuzuka Skysword View Post
The meaning is created so that I might find happiness. It isn't created because I want to find truth. My life's purpose is to find happiness as I said earlier.
who isn't looking for happiness? but there's a big gap between hedonism and objective meaning and morality. i understand that i am a pleasure-seeking being but if anything that makes my life seem more meaningless, since i know all pleasures are transitory and will just be replaced by another yearning, and so on, and so on, until i die.
cardboard adolescent is offline   Reply With Quote