Music Banter - View Single Post - The Church
Thread: The Church
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 10:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
scottsy
Untalented Drummer

YES! The Maven has an excellent guitar solo! Anjd I agree with you 100% about the Church's nineties stuff, and their recent work is no slouch either...

I'll tell no lies, they are possibly the top of my top three favorite bands right now... I have every album the band has put out, plus a few rarities, with signitures, etc... I have basically put their music into three fairly disntinct eras, the early albums (very jangle - pop, with dreamy, more sentimental lyrics) the 90's stuff, which is fairly psychedelic, less conventional, more centred around spacey, abstract themes.... and the modern (00's) stuff, which sees a bit of a return of the jangly sound, some more earthly lyrics and themes, but with a focus on higher more spacey concepts, a bit of a regret for a life lived indulgently - drug habits, etc) and outstanding production with some electronic / ambient elements.

I've seen them play live twice and I just missed seeing them here in Milwaukee by a whisker. Both times i saw them the band absolutely blew me away. Marty Wilson - Piper is a severely underrated guitarist - I saw him jam the hell out of "Tantalized" from the "Heyday" album - the band extended some of the solo parts to suit and it was possibly the very best moment I've enjoyed at any rock music performance.

I've had friends who've met the band and find them very personable, if a little shy - Wilson - Piper seems to be the most outgoing individual - Steve Kilbey can be standoff - ish, especially if you start getting all fanboy drooly... the others are just kinda quiet, unassuming.

Most of their newer material is written as long full band jam sessions from which they pick parts and weave them into full songs with lyrics. This approach has yeilded some really great compositions, for example, "Cantilever" from the outtakes collection "Beside Yourself"... would be in my top ten long / complex / songs... again, another live highlight.

So I guess this post, and probably my whole profile kinda gives away the fact I love the band dearly...