Music Banter - View Single Post - So do you feel rock will be on top again
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2009, 02:09 PM   #58 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
With xm i can listen to what i want. Think about this though... So you say that the mainstream bullies?? I thought that they looked at demographics and things like that to tell them what sells. Its kind of supply and demand. So is anyone really bullied?? I think that ppl seriously need to think that over before they post. Did you think for a second that nirvana, stp, pearl jam, smashing pumpkins or any 90's bands in the rock genre were manufactured? No they didnt have to be cause they just worked. I know that the rebuttle is going to be that the big wigs knew that that was what ppl wanted to hear. And if pop and r&b is what ppl want to hear then my thread makes sense. Will rock ever be as big as it used to be in the 70's 80's and 90's. Hell even the 60's. Who was bigger that elvis or the beatles?
Do you understand what i mean yet?
yes, I understand what you mean. It's a classic case of chicken or egg. However, the truth is that it all begins with the record companies. They are the ones who are capable of distributing a type of music to the mainstream. The mainstream then react, either in a positive way or a negative way. If they react positively, then bingo, the record company keep pushing that type of music until it goes out of fashion. This IS what happened with grunge music.

You are right about it being supply and demand. However, the demand is largely manufactured by big-dollar marketing. The more record companies try to push a type of music, the more likely the mainstream are to buy into it.