Music Banter - View Single Post - Good vocalists, bad material
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2009, 05:50 AM   #19 (permalink)
WaspStar
Back to mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
James Brown: Everyone's going to hate me for this, but I think he was an atrocious songwriter (did he write songs?). Obviously there's Live at the Apollo, but just because he could hold an audience's attention doesn't mean he's worth listening to. I give him credit; what James Brown did influenced generations of soul artists to come. I just don't think he's got anything worth hearing.

Good call there. I do like Try Me (a song that's pretty unrepresenative of his style), but I can live without the rest of his stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
You know Eponymous is just a "best of" collection of their IRS years right? If you've never heard the actual albums those songs are taken from they're really worth a listen. REM's earlier albums are far superior to their later albums IMHO.
Yes, I've heard the original albums, but for me, REM is one of those bands that's best represented by a decent comp. I only mentioned it because it's the only REM album I own and listen to on any sort of semi-regular basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin B. View Post
Dusty Springfield was a great vocalist but most of her producers had absolutely no idea what to do with her extraordinary talents. Many of her albums were overproduced and the middle-of-the-road cover songs chosen by her producers were trite and derivative. The brillance of Dusty Springfield was that she managed to transcend the even the most cliched material and deliver heartfelt vocals.

The closest she came to a perfect album was Dusty in Memphis because co-producers Jerry Wexler and Tom Dowd were brilliant producers and had the expertise at showcasing uniquely talented R&B singers.
To be honest, I've never really understood what the fuss was about Springfield's voice. She sounds like another generic 60's pop singer to me.