Music Banter - View Single Post - The White Stripes
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2005, 10:21 AM   #96 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamTheaterGodly
I think the band is incredibly basic, and I don't see why they have so much hype. Some one explain this to me.
Well for someone with the name "dreamtheaterisgodly" the premise might be out of your reach. You can imagine the white stripes as a cultural backlash, as punk might have been to the prog-rock of the 70's. Everyone has so much extra going on, that the stripes went the opposite way and kept it as simple as possible without it being garbage.

Their second album is called De stjil (i may have spelt that wrong) after the dutch painters movement of using just three colors, shapes, paterns, whathaveyou, to create paintings. Tihs is basically the premise of the band, which has strayed slightly with Jack's solos but their minimalist style remains resolute.

Meg's drumming isn't supposed to be complex...at all. Its a beat, something you can occationally dance to, something to hold time, or just have a beat there, to make it more rock. Its thumb, I can't explain it, but there is no place for a Portnay solo in the white stripes, it wouldn't be right.

Complexity does not equal hype. Complexity is not always good music. Im trying to argue scientifically a subjective opinion, so its an impossible task, but I hope im pushing you toward where im trying to go. The stripes are primal, they are what rock is, think Kiss, think Ac/Dc. Think simple. Keep it simple stupid, keep it striped.