Music Banter - View Single Post - Most overrated bands ever?
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2009, 06:06 AM   #1944 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
I do agree whole-heartedly about Dream Theatre and Porcupine Tree not being particularly innovative in the slightest and being patent rip-offs of other sounds, in spite of the scores and scores of deluded fanatics who would do anything to prove otherwise. I've argued before that Porcupine Tree, particularly the early stuff, is almost a complete rip-off of Pink Floyd and Genesis, though boo boo does not agree with me on that at all.
And heres the problem, Pink Floyd and Genesis sound nothing alike. How can you rip them both off? Without becoming somewhat original as a result? Especially without sounding anything like all the other prog bands that cite Floyd or Genesis as influences. Wheres the Gilmour solos? The Waters-ish/Gabriel-ish vocals? Because I don't hear it.

I don't think early PT sounds much like Floyd at all, but at least I get the comparison, but Genesis? That one kinda came out of nowhere. While I agree that they're not innovaters, I don't know another band that sounds like them. The Floyd/Porcupine Tree comparisons are just as vague and groundless as the Floyd/Radiohead comparisons.

Floyd don't have the f*cking patent on mellow and trippy music. Nor does mellow and trippy music translate to a complete rip-off of Pink Floyd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
Dude. That excludes about 97% (or more) of the bands classed as prog today from being prog. It excludes pretty much the entire nu-prog movement. There is practically nothing whatsoever new in that music at all. It's crappy boring rip-off posturing of 70s bands.

As boo boo has argued [EDIT: at the time of making the post I wasn't even aware that an argument had transpired in this thread - Comus is talking absolute bigoted flaming nonsense, though], I don't think prog is necessarily about doing something new and experimental. It's more of a stylistic trait.

Aside from all that, Tool, while crap, don't honestly sound quite like any other band that came before them so it could easily be argued that there is much new in their sonic output. Muse on the other hand do tend to sound like a huge compendium of other, better sounds of yesteryear.
Well you're right about neo prog (I assume that's what you meant by nu, otherwise you'd be wrong). But to say it applies to 97% is pretty damn ignorant.

I love bands like PT, TMV, Tool and Muse. And I find that people who hate these bands fall into one of the following groups.

1. Prog hating hipsters
2. Prog fans who dislike all the newer prog bands that don't fall into the Dream Theater mold

Both annoy me a lot. It's easy to tell that some of you are the former and others are the latter.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.