Music Banter - View Single Post - Most overrated bands ever?
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2009, 09:00 AM   #1945 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
I love bands like PT, TMV, Tool and Muse. And I find that people who hate these bands fall into one of the following groups.

1. Prog hating hipsters
2. Prog fans who dislike all the newer prog bands that don't fall into the Dream Theater mold

Both annoy me a lot. It's easy to tell that some of you are the former and others are the latter.
Lol. I'm not number (2), but I'm not really (1) either. While you might argue that I have some unfortunate traits of the 'hipster', I actually quite like some prog. Caravan, for one. Hell, to be completely honest I even kinda like and enjoy Tool when in the right frame of mind - not the garbage of 10,000 Days but the good stuff, like Aenima and Lateralus. I enjoy a lot of Opeth too. And I love Mastodon, and I guess in reality they have to come under the prog umbrella too. I also kinda take an interest in the actual CREATIVE (or at least semi-creative) prog music that comes out today, like that weird-a$s band Battles.

It's the neo-prog stuff that's mostly garbage and intolerable. And that's not because I have some diehard vendetta against prog, it's just because it's derivative without improving at all on the old stuff, and the songs tend to be overly long snoozers.