Music Banter - View Single Post - Most overrated bands ever?
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2009, 09:23 AM   #1950 (permalink)
Piss Me Off
Moodswings n' Roundabouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
::cough::THE BENDS::cough::

I do think Muse have plainly been partly influenced by the more anthemic side of early Radiohead releases. But yeah, the bands don't really sound alike.

I take issue though which the insinuation that Muse create albums of crowd-pleasing pure rock tunes. I don't think that's really true, or rather that it's not generally true of the band. The one exception might be Black Holes & Revelations, but even then, I don't think it was quite as banal as warranting being called 'an album of crowd-pleasing pure rock tunes'.

I'd argue that Radiohead came closer to fulfilling that initiative with The Bends than Muse ever have with any of their albums.
I'd probably be a lot happier jumping around to the tunes on Origin of Symmetry than The Bends, i suppose The Bends songs are a tad more upbeat but i'd get much more of a shot of adrenaline with Muse's songs.

I know it's extreme to say that Muse's albums are completely upbeat rock songs, even BHAR has it's more experimental moments, but for the most part they're full of them consistently, whereas Radiohead had the first 3 albums at the most like that and then moved on.

Last FM
Rate Yr Music
Muxtape