Music Banter - View Single Post - Is the album format sacred?
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2009, 07:47 PM   #22 (permalink)
Minstrel
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piss Me Off View Post
It's impractical because as far as i can see modern music works around the album format. It dictates how they tour, how they afford studio time and musically, for some, how they develop as artists (that could be argued against though). I know singles were a bigger format years ago and still with most pop artists but overall for most artists the album is where it's at.
None of this is objectively true (like that you couldn't tour in a singles-based industry, etc). All you're saying is "Album oriented music is the current form of the industry." While that's true, it doesn't mean it would be impractical for the industry to take a different form, like singles-based (a form it has taken before).

Quote:
Regarding albums being special, think of all the thousands of albums that are celebrated against the number of best-of's that are celebrated.
This again is a consequence of an album-oriented industry. If things are organized as albums, singles suffer. In a singles-based industry, singles would be special. In the 1960s, there were tons of singles released and they were the eagerly-anticipated events...the next big single. In the late-60s that changed. Then it changed back in the late-70s and early-80s. Now it's again album-oriented.

I think a great pop single has a great deal of specialness.