Music Banter - View Single Post - the *** sex & religion thread
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2009, 11:10 PM   #93 (permalink)
sleepy jack
isfckingdead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuzuka Skysword View Post
Logic is logic. Logic is used in science. It is used to observe reality in this way. Since morality is very much a part of reality, it would have to work there if it worked in the science department.
Let me break this down for you. An apple falls from a tree. You then drop it from the height of the tree to a ground. What can you logically figure out through these observations and tests? What goes up most come down!

Someone just helped an old lady cross the street. Another man shot someone for no reason at all. What can you logically figure out through these observations? How do you then further test these to prove what is right or wrong?

Please read something on the scientific method before you say morality works with science. It doesn't. Morality deals with abstract thoughts. Science deals with concrete observation. You can't mix the two together.

Quote:
No, no, no. The goal in life is to achieve your own happiness in this reality. Rand's philosophy is a way of achieving that happiness. Ayn Rand doesn't care about just living on being a robot.
Following Ayn Rand's philosophy wouldn't make me happy in the slightest though.

Quote:
Well, you could be like the post-modernists and give up. The point of life is happiness. Therefore, we strive for the best we can do. The thing is, you look at science as if it is separate from logic, but you are wrong. Science depends on the same logic Rand uses to argue for her morality
I'm not looking at science as separate from logic, I've recognized several times that you can't separate the two. I'm separating morality from science. There's a huge difference you know.

Quote:
So basically, you believe you are a slave to the rest of the species. In that case, you could justify the Holocaust, enslavement of African-Americans, etc.
You're not making any sense. I'm just asking what the objectively moral thing to do in that situation is. Let you live for a few more years an old man or let your species survive.
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote