Music Banter - View Single Post - An Alternative Look at The 1960's
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 09:46 AM   #30 (permalink)
TheCellarTapes
Music Addict

Os Mutantes - Os Mutantes
(1968)

Tracks

1. Panis Et Circenses 3:40
2. A Minha Menina 4:45
3. O Relógio 3:31
4. Adeus Maria Fulô 3:06
5. Baby 3:02
6. Senhor F 2:35
7. Bat Macumba 3:10
8. Le Premier Bonheur Du Jour 3:39
9. Trem Fantasma 3:18
10. Tempo No Tempo (Once Was A Time I Thought) 1:48
11. Ave Gengis Khan 3:51

Os Mutantes were formed in Sao Paulo, Brazil, in 1965, and were the forerunners of the Brazillian culture phenomenon known as Tropicalia. But what is this Tropicalia you speak? Well Tropicalia was a cultural revolution in Brazil in the mid to late sixties which not only affected music, but all areas of the arts, giving pieces a more deeper meaning and giving its creators a reason to push the boundaries for what was possible to out shine dictatorship.

There is no bigger example of the Tropicalia movement then Os Mutantes' debut in 1968, their self titled album is little known outside of Brazil, but I only had the album a couple of hours before I became absolutely smitten by it. It has left me thinking that if this was an English speaking album, this would probably be heralded as a masterpiece by all and sundry.

For starters it is unbelievable how flexible and open-minded Os Mutantes actually were with this debut, the level of experimentation with their songs featured on this album is far superior to anything coming out of England or America at the time, an experimentation that has made the songs something quite remarkable, and this really cannot be said enough.

There are of course your typical carnival side to the sound, which you would expect from a band from Brazil. But not just that, they've decided that fuzz from a guitar is good, and fuzz in any guise is indeed good I think we can all agree.

They've also managed to get the orchestra in on most of their songs, with beautiful string and brass accompaniment throughout, but this is a Tropicalia album, you don't think it just stops there do you?

We really are not just talking about a Sgt Pepper Samba album here. The harmonisation of the vocals, the poetic quality of the songs (which are in Portuguese obviously but which transend the language barrier) and of course the fact that you have no idea where the album can take you next, brilliant.

Like with most albums which successfully fly close to the wind and by rights are one offs, some listeners may find a couple of the more far out pretty songs a little hard to get your head round. But seriously, this album is compelling and is jaw droppingly good at times which makes the album actually an addictive listen. This isn't just a first rate Pychedelic album or an advert for World Music....whatever that means; this is a masterpiece pure and simple.
TheCellarTapes is offline   Reply With Quote