Music Banter - View Single Post - Why do so many great bands come from across the pond?
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Everyman
Groupie

Default Why do so many great bands come from across the pond?

So why do so many influential, genre changing bands come from the UK?
Is it something in the tea?
Is it because they drink their stouts and ales slightly warmish?
Is it because they had to rely on the written word so much more so then the west on account of their reproachable oral hygiene?

Whatever it is - it worked. No other sq km'rd land mass has produced such brilliant wordsmiths, and instrumentalists ever. I don't think there is much argument about that (though some still will i bet). But why? Aside from bland cooking, and Benny Hill, are we really all that different?

It could be that their society is so traditional and proper, with its social grace and rigid charm, that those few "bad apples" that there are (in comparison with the west) become what the UK could be if it lets its hair out of the god damn bun once and awhile. Indeed, these modern day rouges still retain that haughty british pedigree that confirms that they ARE in fact better then us, but taking enough from the "outside" world that they might punch you in the mouth if you mistakingly call their "football" club wankers. Its what we love about them.

I know that life for a UK rockstar isn't all "bangers and mash" right from the get go. They usually have to climb from the pits of a hallowed out mining community or a once proud steeltown that went belly up, or worse a snooty art school. You can tell too. Have you ever in your life seen an act from the UK where ANYONE in the band or production team even, that weighed more then 125 soaking wet? They reinforce our stereotypes of our own society for us! Cheers!

Please understand that I don't want to attack the British. My family is full of them. I just want the memo that goes out to every kid in the UK when they turn 13 or so. It reads as follows:

"Oiy! you wee little get. Shut yer gob and pick up a fookin guitr you tosser!"
and so forth.

Its that message that those kids get. The cool kids get the guitar (or insert instrument of choice) memo, and the losers get the "Join the British Navy Mates" one.

Ok this is getting a bit out of hand here. Tell you what, YOU tell ME why the most popular, influential, often genius bands come from across the pond. Don't forget to tell me who they are!
Everyman is offline   Reply With Quote