Music Banter - View Single Post - Ten Great Vocal Performances
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 04:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
CaseNumber:825
Music Addict

*this will be in no order at all.... since I couldn't possibly choose an order*

Koda Kumi - Candle Light
Candle Light (Live tour 2007)

Absolutely amazingly wonderful song.... so emotional, you don't even have to understand what she saying to know how emotional the song is. Her voice has always been recognisable and during this song she has this really quite croaky, raspy effect which really succeeds in creating such a tear-jerking song. I chose that performance of it because it was the first time I'd ever heard her performing the song and it moved me to tears (a feat in itself really), plus you can hear the power in her voice as well.

Koda Kumi - Moon Crying
Moon Crying (Live tour 2008)

This choice was mainly for this single performance of it. Another one of her performance that moved me tears and the fact that she started crying as well and yet still carried on performing with all her heart. This song also shows of how easily she can change her pitch and again you can hear that same power. You can also see how much the song effects the audience.

Ayumi Hamasaki - Memorial Address
Memorial Address (Live 2004)

This is the song that really brought on my love for this woman's music. My word if you do not feel something stir within you whilst watching it then you are not human. It's a very very powerful song and it's probably one of her best vocal performances ever. You can hear how much the song means to her just by listening to it. I'd really watch the performance to understand what I mean.

John Barrowman - What About Us?
What About Us? (Live on Children In Need)

Well, words simply cannot describe how incredible this man's voice is. This song is what really made me pay attention to him. You can't deny how talented he, how powerful his voice and what an amazing stage presence he has. The power in his voice is very clearly shown during this song and he never misses a note. Absolutely wonderful!

OLIVIA - a little pain
a little pain (Live at Nana Premium 2007)

Another woman with a very recognisable voice. Another voice that I absolutely love. It's the type of voice that at first you don't think it's that special, then after you've finished listening to a song you instantly want to hear more of it. The type of voice that just draws you in. This was the first song I heard from her and it was an instant favourite.

KOTOKO - Re-Sublimity
Re-Sublimity (Live tour 2004)

Single-handedly the best anime opening in the history of anime openings. And can that woman hold a note or what. It may not seem so difficult at first but try it and you'll be rather surprised. Her voice is very unique and holds a certain mesmerising tone to it that seems to make it instantly likeable. Aside from also being an incredible live singer, being able to hold those sort of notes have to be difficult and yet she makes it look so effortless.

ayaka - I believe
I believe (Live tour "First Message")

Hers is one of those voices that you can't help but love. It's very throaty, not at all like your typical Japanese singer. Extremely powerful voice and this voice shwos both the power and range of her voice. You don't need a fancy stage, or elaborate costumes in order to enjoy this performance. All you need is her voice and it'll be fantastic.

Utada Hikaru - COLORS
COLORS (Live tour 2006)

I used to think her vibrato was annoying but you soon come to realise that it's just a part of her singing style and that her voice is really amazing. It has a certain relaxing quality, it can be quite breathy at times, which I think is what makes it so relaxing. You can tell when she sings this song that she really puts her whole soul into it.

Björk - Pagan Poetry
Pagan Poetry (Live at Riverside Church in New York)

Definately my favourite song from her and I'm always amazed by the quality of her voice. Everybody knows that her voice is like marmite. You either love it or hate it, I for one love it but I haven't met a single person I've shown this clip to who doesn't agree that the vocals are simply stunning. Absolutely raw passion.

Hitomi Shimatani - Destiny ~Taiyou no Hana~
Destiny ~Taiyou no Hana~ (Live)

She's not actually one of my favourite artists to be honest, some of her music is a bit bland for my taste, but this song is different in the most amazing way. And her voice sound absolutely stunning, especially during the high notes, how she changes from that low to that high so smoothly I'll never know, but it's incredible nonetheless.

I think that's ten...... but it's a list anyway.....

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination" - Elim Garak
CaseNumber:825 is offline   Reply With Quote