Music Banter - View Single Post - Rodrigo y Garbriela
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 01:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

Default Rodrigo y Garbriela

(Edit - I would make a spelling mistake in the sodding title of the thread! Never mind.)

I really can't decide which part of the boards this should be in. Are Rodrigo & Gabriela folk? Flamenco? There are so many influences to be heard while listening to their music that I really couldn't say for sure.

They have been getting quite a lot of exposure over the last few years but I thought they deserved their own thread.

They are a Mexico born duo armed with acoustic guitars that show a lot of influence in acoustic classical guitar, flamenco, samba and folk rock but who's roots are firmly and surprisingly in thrash metal. They cite Metallica, Megadeth and Overkill as influences and have regularly performed covers of Metallica's 'One' and 'Orion' aswell as covers of 'Stairway to Heaven' and Floyd's 'Wish You Were Here'.

Met playing in a Mexican thrash metal band and moved to Ireland where they gigged and busked until they recorded their first album on Rubyworks where they have now pressed 4 official releases.

Quite an impressive list of achievements I would say to go from busking on the streets of Ireland to touring the world over, having an Irish #1, headlining the Jazz World stage at Glastonbury, playing Coachella, playing on "The Late, Late Show", "Letterman" and "Later with Jools Holland" among others, touring with Damien Rice and Muse among others and getting feautures on the likes of VH1, BBC and MTV in roughly 6 years.

Technically sound guitarists, strong and enjoyable original material that does not require a pre existing taste in any of the genres mentioned above so try not to be put off by any of them if they aren't your cup of tea and some very inventive covers. Their debut album is currently taking a hammering on my mp3 player.

RELEASES:
re-Foc - (2003)
Live: Manchester and Dublin - (2004)
Rodrigo y Gabriela - (2006)
Live in Japan - (2008)

DIABLO ROJO

TAMACUN

ORION
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote