Music Banter - View Single Post - Jackson randy rhoads pro series with floyd rose
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 04:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Oh, by the way. Unless you're really, REALLY into the rhoads shape, I would caution you to buy something more ergonomic rather than going straight for the V shapes and stuff. Those are great for stage work, where you're stood up and the visual appeal of the guitar can really boost an audience.

BUT.

They're a pain in the hole for everything that isn't a gig. You can't sit in a normal position with them, and god help you if you try. Some people will swear blind that you can play them in classical position with no difficulty, but in my experience you need legs like chickenwire and a low seat just to stop it from sliding down your legs, and classical position doesn't agree with me.

You'll also be forever banging the rear wing into things, because it sticks out much further than you'd think. The first time I tried out a rhoads style guitar in a shop, almost the first thing I did was knock the wing into something because I was used to strat stye guitars, where almost the whole body is to the left of your abdomen.

Theres also a practical and performance advantage to a strat shape, since the Ibanez S series for example, will come with a ZR tremolo system, which is my personal favourite (yes, even above floyd rose designs), and at the pricepoint the S series ranges through, you're not going to find a better tremolo system equipped for less, at least not on a new, stock guitar.

I would say also, buying a guitar on ebay can seem like a great idea, but unless you're experienced with guitar hardware and ebay auction checking, you're as likely to get ripped as you are to find a bargain. Its a mixed bag of stuff on there, not all of it good.

Like I said though, these are my experiences. Your mileage may vary, but the majority of these opinions are echoed far and wide by opinions other than my own, since they're more common complaints than you'd think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote