Music Banter - View Single Post - Teachers/professors tastes in music.
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 08:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seltzer
Fish in the percolator!

I was interested in what my teachers listened to though I'd have considered it perhaps impertinent to ask them... even if I was close to some of them, there still is a teacher/student boundary. Having said that, I was in an Opeth phase in school and some friends and I lent our music teacher one of their CDs and he liked it - bearing in mind he's in his 50s and listens mainly to jazz/classical.

At university, student/lecturer relationships of course tend to be more tenuous, though I now chat to some of my lecturers because I work on the same floor as them at uni and have a collaboratory relationship with a few of them.

One of my lecturers was trying to motivate the study of electrical engineering and he commented on the amount of engineering knowledge and ingenuity which goes into the design of an iPod so that "you kids can listen to Tool or whatever it is you listen to nowadays".

One of my maths lecturers had a habit of putting on music while she was setting up at the beginning of each lecture - for her first one, she played U2 - Vertigo to an audience of a few hundred, possibly with the intention of showing us young'uns she could be hip too. Either way, I facepalmed.

One of my younger software lecturers from last year (who's doing his PhD) absolutely owns at piano. At one stage, we had a class conversation about Herbie Hancock. Anyway, he wrote and performed this hilarious song: