Music Banter - View Single Post - £100m Player?
Thread: £100m Player?
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009, 12:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

How times have changed since Robson was the first £1m player. Jermaine Defoe is now worth the same amount of money in the modern game that Shearer was when he went to Newcastle in 96 for a world record fee. No wonder most football clubs are in mountains of debt.

I think its complete ridiculous in every way. NO footballer is worth £100m. Its just stupid money. I wouldn't be for capping transfer fee's or anything but I would say that if i thought it could actually work I'd be all for the FA to be able to step in when such stupidly high sums of money are involved. ManchesterCity need to get out of the ****. They need to be buying players in the window and/or considering a change in management - anything to get them out and clear of the bottom three. So, naturally what does a struggling team do who need to be even thinking of 17th in the league as a result and a bullet dodged? They go for Kaka. I'd say they dont NEED to set their sights so high, they just need to strengthen their squad to get them out of the **** but then again I'm not the manager or a chairman of a football club crapping money.

They dont need to be concerning themselves with whether or not they will ultimately make money from Kaka or not, I know that but should they get him they may have one of the best players in the world and they may just succeed in avoiding the drop as a resultbut they will be raising the bar too high in terms of what is acceptable and what isnt when it comes to expenditure, they will more or less force other teams in this country and around the world to look for wealthier investors to be able to compete with the team who can buy anybody by just throwing cash at them, they will be yet another club who could quite possibly put less effort into developing future talent in THIS country (why bother when it isnt necessary to the success of your football club anymore?) and they will find themselves with countless players who will look at playing with Kaka as playing with the man who makes 3x, 4x, 5x, 6x etc the amount of money as they do for doing the same job.

Can someone answer me this? Given were in such tight times financially at the moment - if these investors give Mark Hughes £100m to bring Kaka to England plus £2m a month wages to keep him there and then they go bankrupt and **** off where does the debt go? Is that their debt or is it now Manchester City's debt?
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote