Music Banter - View Single Post - £100m Player?
Thread: £100m Player?
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009, 07:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ZZZ View Post
They have a salary cap in Australian Rules and it works very well IMO. The difference is that it is a minor sport in the scheme of things and is required to keep the clubs from either committing financial suicide and/or dominating the comp. They have a draft system in place as well and that evens the comp up over a period of time.

But football is different. The day say England brings in a cap the players would make an exit to play in Italy, Spain or Germany.

I am not sure as to the answer to stop this type of extravagance. I have to say that it is crazy money though. If kaka is worth 100 million Euros what the heck is Ronaldo worth?
The other blatant difference of course that is that Aussie Rules have often seen a successful team one season have a terrible season the next. For a start theres been 5 different Premiership winners in the last 5 seasons and often teams just yo-yo from one end of the table to the next season to season.

Football in England is the complete opposite and I guess you could argue which is better. Over here you need to build a squad over a matter of years to be successful, over there though I'm sure its a lot more exciting to watch.

I like that we have more 'established' clubs and that that hasnt just happened overnight. However Chelsea are proof that when theres no restrictions in place you can buy success with the right backing, and Manchester City seem keen to follow in their footsteps. Of course our Premier League has been dominated by the same four clubs for some time now as well. In the not so distant past we had established clubs for sure, clubs that were always going to struggle, clubs that were always going to be there or there abouts at the top of the league but also a real fight for the championship. Not so much anymore, the more established clubs have monopolised the league for quite some time now and the only fight has been amongst themselves.

Ideally we'd have something that was somewhere in the middle I think, but I dont see how it will ever change as it just gets more and more out of hand financially.
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote