Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Banter Hall of Fame: Induction Thread 2
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2009, 11:00 AM   #54 (permalink)
Molecules
daddy don't

Radiohead - No. I have all the albums on CD (bar Rainbows) and grew up with the Oxford goons, but they'll get in regardless, plus we've been growing apart the last few years. *sniff*

The Kinks - Yes. Forget f*cking Lola; these guys released a concept album about the virtues of a rural pre-war timewarp Britain and the trappings of celebrity and self-indulgence at the height of the 'summer of love', when students were prancing around like idiots on drugs seeing things they would later discover weren't there.

The Beach Boys - Yes. Purely for Pet Sounds. To this day nothing sounds like it in pop and falls well outside the category of 'surf hit'. And if you forget taking the music on it's own merits think of the technological restrictions Wilson was working with at the time and what he accomplished in the studio! Macca has repeatedly asserted that Sgt.Pepper's would not have been the same had Pet Sounds not been made. And like Pepper the Beach Boys' only truly great record is an example of truly contemporary classical music.

Public Enemy - Yes. As Lucifer Sam pointed out there were other great socially conscious groups but PE were first, and nobody had the intensity of The Bomb Squad. The hardest-hitting, most densely-layered sample-mashing production team ever. Also from a lyrical POV their politics were not only more stark and confrontational but more down-to-earth than the pacifistic Nation raps of, well, the rest of rap at the time. If I'd heard their raps in the 80's as a suburban white kid they would've educated more than confused me and that's commendable.

Not sure what other hip-hop nominations there are but if we're not getting the Wu we need somebody like PE in the hall of fame to represent the most enduring African-American musical form since the blues.

Burn Hollywood burn I smell a riot
Goin' on first they're guilty now they're gone
Yeah I'll check out a movie
But it'll take a black one to move me
Get me the hell away from this TV
All these news and views are beneath me
Cause all I hear about is shots ringin' out
So I rather kick some slang out
All right fellas let's go hand out
Hollywood or would they not
Make us all look bad like I know they had
But some things I'll never forget yeah
So step and fetch this sh*t
For all the years we looked like clowns
The joke is over smell the smoke from all around
Burn Hollywood burn

[SIZE="1"]Eff em
tumble her

Last edited by Molecules; 01-17-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Molecules is offline   Reply With Quote