Music Banter - View Single Post - Bulldog's Armchair Guide To Elvis Costello
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 01:50 AM   #46 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molecules View Post
cracking in depth write-up as always, for some reason I remember really getting into your CD copy for the first time reading the EC-penned sleevenotes, funny sh*t. It's all about 'God's Comic', lol

Wasn't this album out of print or hard-to-find in the UK for a while or something? Interestingly it's in the top 4 Costello albums on Last.fm but that might be down to 'Veronica'...
Gotta love the inlays for the CDs really - they didn't quite get me into every album, but I remember looking forward to reading a new one for an album I didn't have back in the good old days when I was buying them all on CD. They make for great light reading too (and now I've got them all up here - unlucky ).

I don't think it was out of print. It was reissued on CD around the same time as all his other albums were. But you're right, it was really hard to track down for a while here in dear ol' Blighty. Probably just one of those things. It's like the 30th anniversary edition of Ziggy Stardust - you can't find that for love nor money these days.

As for its top 4 status, I do know that both Spike and its follow-up Mighty Like a Rose actually outsold his first three albums, which is kinda weird as they're two of his most obscure efforts these days. Christ knows what When I Was Cruel is doing up there though.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote