Music Banter - View Single Post - You have to listen to this
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 05:31 AM   #44 (permalink)
4ZZZ
Forever young

With the continuous use of acoustic guitar and lots of atmospherics, Mice Parades Obrigado Saudade will be a very useful headphone album for those that enjoy textured music to be generally layered with some complexity.

Opening track Two, Three, Fall leads the way with the guitars beautifully played and non intrusive beats with a female vocal whispering along.

At 10 minutes long, Mystery Brethren, cruises along with the same formula and with what sounds like xylophone and keys adding soft texture.

Focus On The Roller Coaster gives strummed acoustic guitar and vocals and is to my ears what sound like a song that Calaxico could have made if they met Aphex Twin.

And Still It Sits In Front Of You presents the acoustic Guitar with a nice central American feel and with some less than intrusive vocals, the beat is steady. What sounds like a Chinese Dulcimer weaves in occasionally and adds to the feel that there are some exotic influences generally stirring in Mice Parade.

Wave Greeting is an electronica track that may be popular with IDM fans. The strummed Acoustic Guitar gives the song an organic feel.

Here Today adds more exotic sounding eastern influences into a song that has male and female vocal harmonies that have a 60’s feel. As usual the acoustic guitar makes its presence felt with some intricate playing.

Milton Road gives as another mix of Central American style guitar and blended atmospherics with the beat at pace.

A short piece called Spain has the female vocals along side the beautiful guitar work with no other instrumentation.

Out Of The Freedom World is heavily minimalist with strong percussion beats though to me is clearly Eno influenced, despite the beat, and also has a Dubstep feel circa Burial. The stringed instruments are arranged beautifully. A thoroughly enjoyable song.

Guitars For Plants begins with another Eno inspired ambient passage. It is hard not be impressed with the textures of this song. It is another oddly lush but gentle song with the guitar in the back ground as we are treated to no melody but just rich soundscapes.

Last we have Refrain Tomorrow. This less than 2 minute track ends with a melody restored and an almost jazzy feel. A nice end.

I enjoy this style of atmospherics generally. I gave this album seven plays before writing the revue. The previous album we reviewed on this thread got 4 plays. A good sign for me that it has hit my listening spot. This style of album, heavy reliance on atmospherics as opposed to melody, are never going to be killer recordings that have superlatives thrown at them. Be that as it may when put together well they have a sonic beauty that is for me hard to resist in the right atmosphere. Headphones are the key for me. The subtle nuances are easier to hear and appreciate. A fine album and I will be looking to try a bit more of Mice Parade in the future
4ZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote