Music Banter - View Single Post - Learning music
Thread: Learning music
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2009, 01:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
zeppy111
16, so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
I'm pretty sure most guitar teachers have some intrinsic knowledge of music theory. They may not give you a two-hour sermon on the birth of modern music but they have to understand it a bit just to be able to teach you how to play.
Yeah that is all I need I guess, just the basics to be able to play and actually understand what I am doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrawker07 View Post
it depends a lot on the person really. some people can just pick up an instrument and play others take lessons. personally, i taught myself to play guitar. i got some guitar tabs(sheet music for guitar tab) and by them and playing by ear i've learned to play fairly well. since then i have learned to play drums, bass guitar(if you know how to play guitar you can play a bass), and i've even tried a little piano.

i know a little bit about reading music mind you, but guitar tabs are the way to go if you are going to teach yourself guitar. they are printed just like the fretboard and you just have to read up on what's a slide, hammer-on, and such.

i can play by ear so i don't find it too hard to figure most things out. i may not be able to tell you exactly what i'm doing mind you (that's where lessons come in handy). if you have access to a good music teacher i'd say go for the lessons, if not well check out some tabs and see what you can do.

good luck
I always try to teach myself stuff as most of the time there has been no facilities to learn something new where I live(farm) so most of the time I just bust it out myself. Obviously I will try my up most to teach myself some of the stuff but the teacher should add an element that I can not bring to the table. Off to find these guitar tabs you speak of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannny View Post
If you want to learn more than just how to play a few songs, definetly get lessons from a teacher. The teacher will teach you so many things that you would never pick up teaching yourself. And you don't need to know anything about playing music going into your lessons, that's what the teacher's there for.
Ok lovely, I am getting a clear picture of where to go from here on in.

Thank you to those who replied.

My Blog (album of the day): http://musicfromthesouth.blogspot.com
zeppy111 is offline   Reply With Quote