Music Banter - View Single Post - Learning music
Thread: Learning music
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2009, 07:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dr_Rez
Registered Jimmy Rustler

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppy111 View Post
I am not really sure where to put this so if it needs to be moved, please go ahead.

This year I really want to learn how to play a musical instrument(I am learning towards guitar) but I have absolutely no musical backround in regards to reading music, understanding scales and frets and the theory behing music.

So my question is how should I go about this? Should I try find a general music teacher in the area and learn the theory behind music before going onto an actual guitar teacher or would that aspect be covered by the guitar teacher? Obviously I will be doing alot of reading on the internet and try to learn as much as I can by myself but I feel it would be the right and better way to learn by also having a teacher.

I appreciate anyone chiming in.

Thanks in advance

Guy
Just enroll in a theory or harmony class at your local community college. Its very cheap and youll even get a discount for being a non credit student. This way you will have a professional teacher, people around you to help, and be able to meet new people to play with.

edit: And sorry but this is bugging me. You dont just "learn music" you slowly attempt to make sense of the theory and notation, in hopes that one day you may know even a fraction of what is out there.
*Shave one of my legs to pretend its a girl in my bed crew*
Dr_Rez is offline   Reply With Quote