Music Banter - View Single Post - Some Album Reviews
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2009, 01:17 AM   #25 (permalink)
Dr_Rez
Registered Jimmy Rustler

Cire: Pleasure Is Our Enemy
Released in 2001 by Private Label?

1. Natural Correction (0:55)
2. Thrown (6:30)
3. Not This Again (1:02)
4. Thoughtcrimes (2:55)
5. Habitude (1:38)
6. Domestic (6:28)
7. Dica (4:07)
8. Infallible (4:35)
9. Obedient (1:51)
10. Fleas (6:39)
11. Beautiful Corrosion (5:48)
12. Officer M. (6:50)
13. Pen & Ink (7:13)
14. Aversion (5:51)
15. I Keep Falling (3:10)
16. Mirrors (7:00)

Pleasure Is Our Enemy is not your typical album that would be thrown into a top 25 list. Scratch that, a top anything for that matter. The mastermind of Cire and now Emptyself is Eric Johanson. This particular album (the first of 3 that Cire has released thus far) was done while he was under 18; no one is really sure how young. I bring this up not to amaze you, or make him sound special but to explain the low budget recording, lack of advanced multi-tracking, and overall rough sound (mainly vocals). So if your expecting a well polished masterpiece done by an experienced musician, with recording and sound quality to match then leave this thread (or preferably wait till my next entry).

PIOE is a borderline progressive rock guitar driven album While some songs not being as consistent, the majority of the album is full of wonderful melody's, rhythms, and progressions. Another large part of this album is the standard rock guitar solo's in many of the tracks throughout. Not surprising the best tracks seem to be almost led by these solo's, and sometimes even overshadow the rhythms. I suggest if your are wanting to quickly listen to this band you should start with a few key songs. Fleas, Domestic, and Dica have always stood out for me being some of the heavier more noticeable tracks on the album.

Lastly keep in mind this album sounds NOTHING like the next two Cire alums, in which were recorded much differently and had the vocals revamped. I have a feeling most responses will be "this was terrible" or "to under produced". To that I will say this, not all music is a first listen then love type of experience. These songs are not meant to be catchy, have no major hooks, and actually contain lyrics that if you take the time to understand them will move you. On the other hand if you really like this album tell me, so I can refer you to his other solo projects and second/third Cire albums.

Links(I think the full album is on Last.fm to preview.)
Pleasure Is Our Enemy – Cire – Listen free and discover music at Last.fm
CD Baby: CIRE: Pleasure Is Our Enemy
*Shave one of my legs to pretend its a girl in my bed crew*

Last edited by Dr_Rez; 01-21-2009 at 03:34 PM.
Dr_Rez is offline   Reply With Quote