Music Banter - View Single Post - The Alfred Top 25
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2009, 05:44 PM   #20 (permalink)
Alfred
one big soul

19. The Clash "Give Em Enough Rope" (1978)

What it is: better than their debut dammit
Favorite track: Safe European Home

See, I told you the future was bright!

I could be wrong, but "Give Em Enough Rope" always seems like the overlooked Clash album. Everyone loves their debut, because it's their first album and shows their early sound. "London Calling" goes without saying, "Sandinista!" is so huge and weird, but loved by many fans. Combat Rock has "Should I Stay Or Should I Go" and "Rock The Casbah", and everyone seems to avoid Cut The Crap like a swarm of bees (I myself am guilty of this).

As a punk rock band, this is the greatest thing The Clash could have possibly achieved. There's lots of energy here, and they're tight as hell. The melodies are great, and the lyrics are pure Clash. Safe European Home is superb, the finest punk track that they made. English Civil War was also a treat for me, because of its usage of an old melody that I've always loved. Stay Free has lyrics of youthful rebellion, but it sounds like it should be on London Calling. The production here is very slick.

I could be wrong, but as I said before, this album doesn't seem to get the recognition it deserves. There are many memorable songs here, and as an album it works extremely well. It's a more energetic sound, but at the same time, more laid back than their debut. Their feel-good record if you like.