Music Banter - View Single Post - Heat Twenty Five: Battle of the Bands
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2009, 07:47 AM   #19 (permalink)
TheCellarTapes
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piss Me Off View Post
That's what everyone says. Doesn't hold my attention at all and i can't stand his later voice at all.

I would be shocked if everyone knew who Scott Walker was, we'll change that

As for the voice arguement, Bob Dylan's voice in his later work is not as good as it was in his prime, no reason to shun Bob Dylan is it? Age has that effect on the throat, its unavoidable unless you're Tom Jones.

The list of people who share my view and who have been influenced by Walker is in itself a good indication of what regard Walker is held. People like David Bowie, Richard Hawley, Johnny Marr, Echo and The Bunnymen and Thom Yorke.

I find the dismissal of Scott Walker mildly annoying, as Scott 1, 2, 3 and 4 are immense albums, with biting lyrics, beautiful arrangements and well crafted tracks. Not only that but his work with the Walker Brother's is epic too.

Its a travesty that he's not making the second round, a result which will result in me spending a good few hours this week sitting in a darkened room just rocking back and forth, while listening to "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore", whilst at the same time toying with the idea of just smearing twiglet crumbs into my eyes.