Music Banter - View Single Post - Albums You're Digging II
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2009, 08:00 AM   #782 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Jon Anderson - Olias of Sunhillow (1976)

Got this album for my birthday last year, and boy what a gift! This fantastic album is the single best thing Jon Anderson (of Yes) ever put out by himself, and stands as a testament to just how creative someone can be when left to their own devices long enough in studio. Everything you hear here is done by the main man himself, with no help from other musicians.

Although its something of a concept album (the story revolves around the Moses-synonymous Olias leading his people to a new planet to live on and the dangers they face during the exodus), this is just one of those things that is so gorgeous to listen to that the subject matter seems inconsequential to the experience of simply listening. Jon's ever distinctive vocal talents and use of harps, guitar, and dozens of other instruments take front seat here, setting up its own hemispheres and ethereal pleans for your mind to float around in. Hell, even newborn babies would enjoy it!

So basically, this album is absolutely fantastic on every front and deserves to be looked into by anyone who is looking for something timeless in its appeal to the ear and soul. Highly recommended.

Here are a few tracks to wet the appetite:

Flight of the Moorglade

Solid Space

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote