Music Banter - View Single Post - It thoroughly irritates me that...
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2009, 08:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Default It thoroughly irritates me that...

The term 'indie' has such awful connotations over here in the United Kingdom. People here tend to see 'indie' as synonymous with the sort of punk/rock music played by bands like the Libertines and their infinite legion of followers. And if not that, then the recent wave of dance punk/new rave etc. Even if some of those bands are good...hell, even if the Libertines were good...it still does absolutely no justice to the true scope of 'indie' music and leaves millions of people thinking that that's all 'indie' truly means.

Of course, it's not the fault of the population that indie in the UK has assumed these connotations. If they only ever HEAR the word 'indie' in connection with the sorts of bands in question, then how are they to know better? The real blame lies with the idiots in this country who are inspired to become 'indie' musicians. The narrow-mindedness and highly restricted tastes all begins with them. They form their bland, derivative, shameless copycat excuses for bands, inspired by little more than 2 or 3 influences (at the MAX), and their attitudes percolate to the rest of the population.

Musicians in the UK, wake the **** up! Hardly anybody outside of your pathetic little UK fanbase of screaming teens is interested in the sort of music you're determined to make. Stop monopolizing the concept of 'indie' music. Distance yourself from the title. Because I'm damn sick and tired of being told by people that they hate indie music, when what they REALLY mean is that they hate YOU.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote