Music Banter - View Single Post - Member Picture Gallery
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2009, 12:16 PM   #5625 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Most insects on Svalbard by far can fly, so they tend to end up in the trap that way, but I also had to be a little careful with stuff crawling in. The boxes had these bent edges that should be hard to crawl up on and the edges were also greased with vaseline to stop that from happening .. >.< Anyways, by far, most of the stuff I caught were invertebrates capable of flight (particularly midges) .. not really the target of my study, but since we have the data on them, we'll try and get some publications out.

I think Wikipedia is over-exaggerating the german skills. I only know a little bit of german and most of my friends are much worse than I am. I can't really have a conversation in german, but I can ask for food and drink or try to explain that my car has broken down. :p

Bokmål and nynorsk are the two written languages in Norway because in the 19th century when there was interest to grammatically restore the norwegian language, two guys set out to do so, Knud Knudsen did bokmål and Ivar Aasen did nynorsk .. Bokmål was a norwegianized danish while Ivar Aasen studied the multitude of dialects and based his nynorsk on that. I think very few people speak either one, but I guess most people's way of talking may resemble nynorsk more than bokmål. Still, I write in and prefer to read bokmål.

.. But don't worry about it, germans are very good at learning and understanding norwegian. More so than norwegians are at learning german, which has much harder grammar rules.