Music Banter - View Single Post - Bob Marley "sun is shining" remix
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2009, 12:13 AM   #22 (permalink)
Dr_Rez
Registered Jimmy Rustler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin B. View Post
I'm not disrespecting your musical taste but one of the reasons why I listen to old school reggae music is because it's not hip-hop. Old school roots reggae music is free of all the bling-bling, flash, attitude, sexual posturing and vulgar values of contemporary hip hop.

I dislike the direction that both reggae music and hip hop have taken over the past twenty years. Both reggae and hip hop began as consciousness music and an outcry against the establishment by the powerless. Now reggae and hip hop are all about sexual boasting, celebrity, cash money and coke consumption. I wish reggae and hip hop would stop celebrating the vacuousness of the livin' large and get back on the roots and consciousness track
I really think you are missing the point of this album. First off old school reggae really has nothing to do with this. Its an entirely different thing in itself. This is not trying to make a commercial success of an album, or try and flash bling bling and modern values into the music. It is simple a bunch of modern day artists taking some Marley songs and putting there twist into the mix. Do not look into this album so much you are ruining for yourself.

Secondly and most importantly Hip Hop and Modern Reggae is NOT going downhill the slightest bit. You are simply referring to the commercially successful and mainstream garbage that is on the charts and in most peoples heads. There is PLENTYof new and exciting music in both genres you just have to look around. And again not to be disrespectful but if you have an unlimited download service which most of us do then you should really find this stuff without a problem. If you truly believe 2 entire genres have stopped making talented and meaningful music then you have some listening to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin B. View Post

Now reggae and hip hop are all about sexual boasting, celebrity, cash money and coke consumption. I wish reggae and hip hop would stop celebrating the vacuousness of the livin' large and get back on the roots and consciousness track
Thats just not true at all. Again, your just listening to what handed to you.
*Shave one of my legs to pretend its a girl in my bed crew*
Dr_Rez is offline   Reply With Quote