Music Banter - View Single Post - Boo Boo 101
Thread: Boo Boo 101
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2009, 03:59 AM   #24 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

That's not really ironic.

93. Velvet Underground & Nico - Velvet Underground & Nico

Not really a fan of VU or their later exploits, and it took a while for me to really enjoy this record, but now that I do, I can easly understand why it was so revolutionary and influencial, even though I don't consider it to be as great as a lot of people think it is. VU had the right strategy in mixing up straight up pop ballads with the more experimental sides of Lou Reed and John Cale. It all works, and I find that it works in a way that anybody could pick up this album and like at least one song. I don't know how anyone could not love Sunday Morning.
Favorite tracks: Sunday Morning, Femme Fatale, Venus in Furs, Herion.

92. Sticky Fingers - Rolling Stones

Yes, The Rolling Stones are the most hideously overrated band on the planet, that of course is not my opinion, but merely scientific fact. But I have to be honest, if they weren't so damn overrated, and if they had the good sense to retire after this album, which IMO was clearly their peak before they dropped the ball with the massive snorefest that is Exile on Main Street, then my outlook on the band would be more positive. This is undeniably a great album, the Stones really show some range here, mixing up their brand of no thrills rock n roll with folksy ballads and pure blues. Can't You Hear Me Knocking is the song where they really push their musicianship to the limit, and Wild Horses and Moonlight Mile show that Jagger and Richards are indeed a very talented songwriting team.
Favorite Tracks: Bitch, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Wild Horses, Moonlight Mile.

91. Third/Sister Lovers - Big Star

I can tell you right now, the amount of sh*tty music the state of Tennessee produces today is rivaled by few, what with country pop, crunk and post grunge bands like Saliva to lay claim to, of course we have a great back catalog, I can easly say that next to Beale Street, Stax and Sun records, Big Star was the best thing to ever come out of my state. It's weird how this band evolved from a happy power pop band into the band that made this odd, disturbing record. Chilton's voice sounds so broken yet haunting, making his songs about his depression and loneliness all the more effective.
Favorite tracks: Kizza Me, Thank You Friends, Big Black Car, Holocaust, Blue Moon.

90. Blood Sugar Sex Magik - Red Hot Chili Peppers

This band sure takes a beating here, even as a fan of their later work like Californication, I can understand the dislike for it, but anyone who says they like P-Funk and Bow Wow Wow and then says they don't like this album is just being pretentious for hipsters sake or is just incredibly inconsistant. This was the swan song for funk era RHCP, their musicianship had improved (Flea and Frusciante are both top notch here) and Rubin did a fine job of polishing their sound, but it's just as silly, raunchy, funky and fun as ever. I know there's a term out there called desert rock and while RHCP aren't considered such, that's the imagery I get from this album and I love it.
Favorite tracks: Power of Equality, Under the Bridge, Apache Rose Peac*ck, Sir Psycho Sexy.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote