Music Banter - View Single Post - Boo Boo 101
Thread: Boo Boo 101
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2009, 10:42 AM   #26 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
90. Blood Sugar Sex Magik - Red Hot Chili Peppers

This band sure takes a beating here, even as a fan of their later work like Californication, I can understand the dislike for it, but anyone who says they like P-Funk and Bow Wow Wow and then says they don't like this album is just being pretentious for hipsters sake or is just incredibly inconsistant. This was the swan song for funk era RHCP, their musicianship had improved (Flea and Frusciante are both top notch here) and Rubin did a fine job of polishing their sound, but it's just as silly, raunchy, funky and fun as ever. I know there's a term out there called desert rock and while RHCP aren't considered such, that's the imagery I get from this album and I love it.
Favorite tracks: Power of Equality, Under the Bridge, Apache Rose Peac*ck, Sir Psycho Sexy.
In all honesty, desert rock wasn't about the desert. It was a nascent reaction to Los Angeles' heavily commercialized drug scene (and I say heavily commercialized because desert rockers definitely took drugs). If that's what you take away from this album, fine, but it was exactly this overcommercialized pap that Kyuss & company f*cking hated.