Music Banter - View Single Post - Mirthrandir - For You The Old Women (1976)
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2009, 01:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molecules View Post
I'm definitely feeling this and it begs the question why weren't there more US prog bands at the time? Or more accurately why had I never thought about it before? I don't know if you've seen this Anteater but I posted it in another thread, it's a recent documentary about prog rock.

'Light of the Candle' is probably my favourite track as well and you're right about them not getting tedious despite the song length, bastards can't seem to keep still! It just sounds like a hyperactive melting pot of several bands to these ears, particularly ELP and Gentle Giant.
Yeah, I've been watching though that BBC documentary actually; its really something to hear about the whole movement from the mouths of those who directly participated within it. Gotta love the whole description of how people reacted when King Crimson opened for the Stones that first time!

Also, there were several other quite decent US prog. bands besides Mirthrandir doing music in the late 70's; Happy the Man, Yezda Urfa and Cathedral (who were a main influence on Anglagard of the early 90's) come to mind immediately, but there are other names I could drop if I thought about it long enough. Why these groups weren't insanely popular to a fairly receptive potential audience in that time period has mostly to due with money and lack of touring/publicity, hence the obscurity.

Glad you are enjoying the album in any case!!

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote