Music Banter - View Single Post - Boo Boo 101
Thread: Boo Boo 101
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2009, 02:59 AM   #34 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

85. I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One - Yo La Tengo

I find that many popular Indie bands these days strictly imitate another band, Yo La Tengo however, they have demonstrated their ability to imitate just about anything they hear, and they do it well, they're like pop music scholars, and they make everything they do sound authentic and distinctly Yo La Tengo, giving them the freedom to cover everything from bossa nova to country to noise rock to straight up pop. It all blends together with the great harmonies and Georgia Hubley's lovely vocals. Oh, and because Urban expects it, HIPSTERS!
Favorite tracks: Moby Octopad, Sugarcube, Damage, Shadows, Center of Gravity.

84. Marquee Moon - Television

I'm confused, these guys were considered one of the founders of punk, yet they remind me more of The Grateful Dead and Quicksilver Messenger Service than anything, wasn't punk opposed to that kind of stuff? Well anyway, are Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd awesome guitarists or what? Lloyds solos come off as more technical, but Verlaine's has that unique vibrato and are entirely different from anything I've heard. Second solo from the title track is pure bliss.
Favorite tracks: See No Evil, Venus, Friction, Marquee Moon.

83. Mirage - Camel

Ah yes, there's a lot of my favorite prog bands that didn't make my top 100, which many of you will find surprising. But Camel just had to make it, though a tough call between this and The Snow Goose. A great ensemble is at work here, Peter Bardens (who worked with Van Morrison) was a great keyboardist, and Andy Latimer is one of the more underappreciated guitar gods, he can best be described as somewhat of a cross between Gilmour and Santana. Those licks from Lady Fantasy still blow me away every single time.
Favorite tracks: Earthrise, Lady Fantasy, Nomrodel, Supertwister.

82. Moon Safari - Air

I'm growing more and more fond of electronica all the time. It was Bjork that got me into it. I love chill when it's done right, this is an album where electronica and psychedelia bond like lovers, there's even some synth pop thrown in for good measure. I swear, I feel like I get a contact high everytime I listen to this album, it's that good.
Favorite tracks: La Femme D'argent, Sexy Boy, All I Need, New Star in the Sky.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote