Music Banter - View Single Post - You have to listen to this
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2009, 01:49 AM   #61 (permalink)
Molecules
daddy don't

Molly's review of JH's Mice Parade - Obrigado Saudade (2004)

The title of this album is Portugese and translates as 'thank you saudade'. Here's the definition from wiki which I feel sums up the mood and intention of this album:

''...Portuguese and Galician word for a feeling of nostalgic longing for something or someone that one was fond of and which is lost. It often carries a fatalist tone and a repressed knowledge that the object of longing might really never return. Saudade differs from nostalgia in that whereas nostalgia involves a mixed happy and sad feeling for the lost memories, saudade involves the hope that what is being longed for might return. Saudade has been described as a "vague and constant desire for something that does not and probably cannot exist,... a turning towards the past or towards the future". A stronger form of saudade may be felt towards people and things whose whereabouts are unknown, such as a lost lover, or a family member who has gone missing.''

The by turns blissful and mournful post-rock sound of this album lives up to it's title. To me Obrigado Saudade it was a homage to an intangible sense of optimism for the future (frustratingly translucent), a celebration of what lost ideals ring in our ears and sorrow that we have lost them... admittedly after I read the wiki.

I think the greatness in soft, near-subconscious instrumental music like this is that the listener can paint their own picture on a vast canvas. You can choose to cry or pretend it's the score to your kooky little DV indie movie

Reflective, sometimes ambient and vague but with flourishes of acoustica - piano, harp, xylophone and guitar - the album is really quite beautiful if you're in the mood. There are one or two more lively happenings buried deep down somewhere, a tumbling lounge-jazz drumline, but they swiftly allow themselves to be swallowed in the hum. On any given day of sicker passion it might bore me, but not today!

[SIZE="1"]Eff em
tumble her

Last edited by Molecules; 01-27-2009 at 02:05 AM.
Molecules is offline   Reply With Quote