Music Banter - View Single Post - OK Computer - Radiohead
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2009, 09:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Davey Moore
The Great Disappearer

Default OK Computer - Radiohead

note: I posted this before but I don't think it got the exposure it deserved, namely because I tried to start a thread where I posted all my reviews but it bombed, so I'm reposting this and will work on more reviews I will post in a while, anyway, enjoy and discuss.

Radiohead - OK Computer

1. Airbag: YouTube - Airbag - Radiohead
2. Paranoid Android: YouTube - radiohead - paranoid android
3. Subterranean Homesick Alien: YouTube - Radiohead Music Video - Subterranean Homesick Alien
4. Exit Music (For a Film): YouTube - Radiohead ~ Exit Music (For a Film)
5. Let Down: YouTube - Radiohead Let Down
6. Karma Police: YouTube - KARMA POLICE-RADIOHEAD
7. Fitter Happier: YouTube - fitter happier
8. Electioneering: YouTube - Electioneering
9. Climbing Up the Walls: YouTube - Radiohead - Climbing Up The Walls
10. No Surprises: YouTube - Radiohead - No Surprises
11. Lucky: YouTube - Radiohead - Lucky
12. The Tourist: YouTube - The Tourist - Radiohead (this is actually a really cool video)

Man, it took me a LONG time to fall in love with this album. I first heard it months ago in full, and over the last week I’ve been listening to it over and over again. There was a point where I realized I pretty much liked all the. Radiohead is a band that took me a while to get into, but now that I know this album inside and out, it’s worth it. The first track, Airbag has a really nice guitar part that slides up and down. This albums has a real industrial feel to it, yet still it sounds like it could have been made hundreds of years ago. It’s like a gospel for the MP3 age, with all the excess, noise and confusion that accompanies our modern age.

Paranoid Android may be the best track on the album. Its as if he’s screaming up towards the heavens “What’s thiiiiiiis?, surveying a modern desert landscape, with broken computers and obsolete technology littering the land. At least, that’s what I picture. Subterranean Homesick Alien and Exit Music (For a Film) are nice tracks that start off mellow and increase tension throughout the song. This sort of song structure seems to be a motif of the album.

Let Down is such a 90s song. It’s a weird thing to say, but it fits in perfectly with the decade and the style of music that really was predominant then. It makes sense then, that Radiohead was one of the main influences of this sort of sound.

Karma Police is my favorite song on the album. It reminds me of the Pixies and how they structured their songs. The chorus is one of my favorites of all time, “This is what you get…This is what you get…when you mess with us.” It sounds wistfully bitter.

Fitter Happier was a song that really impressed me when I first heard it. It seemed to be channeling the mood of Revolution #9 except with a more concise message. That’s not to say that it is a rip off of Revolution #9, because when I first heard it I stopped what I was doing and just listened, I really hadn’t heard anything quite like it before. Electioneering paints a really fun, yet desolate landscape. It’s like they’re saying “Hey, we’re all living in a wasteland but lets dance!”

Climbing Up The Walls is an interesting song. Listen to the first 30 seconds or so of it; it seems to be channeling a bit of “Welcome To The Machine” by Pink Floyd. It’s a nice song, which builds on the earlier motif of the album by slowly building tension through the song.

No Surprises could easily be my favorite song on the album(a tie between Karma Police, Paranoid Android and this one? PERHAPS!!!!!), but I guess it all depends on mood. It opens like a lullaby and the chorus is simply beautiful. You know what, the whole damn song is beautiful. Lucky is also another really good song. The opening lyrics and melody are especially good. This may be the only song on the album where I don’t like the tension build up, but I like when it gets quiet and he sings “And we’re standing on the edge”

The Tourist is a really nice close to the album. It has a mellow feel to it, and a sad, wistful tone to it. This album is not so much an indictment of a modern, computerized, robotic wasteland, it’s more of a mirror that’s held up to your face. In the end, it gives a big shrug, because it’s not like an album can tear down this giant machine.

So let’s just dance!

9/10