Music Banter - View Single Post - Guitars made in Asia
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2009, 11:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom133pz View Post
Are most guitars really made in Asia? I think those tend to be classical or lower end acoustic guitars. I could be wrong about that, but I know my Gibson comes from Memphis, TN!
USA Made doesn't equal higher quality. Lord knows Gibsons quality control has been an a screaming nosedive since early 2000.

Also, yes, the vast majority of guitars are made in either korea, indonesia, or japan. Many high end boutique makers are japanese, Ibanez are japanese too.

Cort Guitars are Korean, and Cort also happen to be the ghostbuilders for a VERY large number of guitar companies, including many Ibanez, LTD, and other models. (Or at least, they WERE. Cort has apparently closed their doors now)

Ibanez and LTD at the very least have also had a long history of exporting work to indonesia for their lower end models. I believe since the closure of Cort, Ibanez have in fact moved many of the models that WERE being produced in korea, over to indonesian facilities.

There are also many high quality builders all over the world, in places you wouldn't expect. Shamray Customs for example, are russian, and frequently touted as the best thing since sliced bread in terms of both quality and range of options. Jaden Rose builds guitar parts and complete guitars in the United Kingdom, and Ernie, from E.T. Guitars, builds and sells from australia.

But in terms of sheer VOLUME of guitars made per region, Asian countries make numbers WELL in excess of ANY other region. Not to mention the sheer number of fake chinese Ibanez that are out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote