Music Banter - View Single Post - Lets just bail out the world
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2009, 11:04 PM   #27 (permalink)
Dr_Rez
Registered Jimmy Rustler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
you completely missed my point. advocates argue that it is necessary in order lower poverty and that it can magically be done by increasing the minimum wage, but what they fail to realize is that an increased minimum wage comes with significant negative consequences, particularly for the very people it is designed to help. when the minimum wage rises, employers will often respond by not only reducing the amount of workers they employ, but also by reducing the amount of hours their employees work. to put it simply, it keeps the unemployed unemployed.
I feel the same way in that you have missed my point. I am not talking about raising wages to put more money in someones pocket because they want it, but to have wages AT LEAST match the rate of inflation. When that rises above wages it causes many more problems than it solves. That is a simple moral issue that I feel everyone should agree with.

Quote:
if you think America has a privatized health care system right now you're horribly misinformed.
Yes, much of America's healthcare is privately run. We have no consistent system as it is constantly all over the place. Government run programs only cover a small percentage of people. Ill say this once... WE HAVE A PUBLIC/PRIVATE HEALTH CARE SYSTEM.

Quote:
there's been one depression from the 20th century on.
The 1970's recession caused by oil was a huge hit on this country. If you don't call that a depression I don't know what is. And what do you call what we are in now??? Most of the country lost a large portion of there savings, another credit crisis, and worst of all the housing market has caused banks to collapse.

Quote:
...well, yes, it's your fault. it's certainly moreso your fault than it is some rich guy you've never met's fault. why should he have to pay your way? the Declaration of Independence states that all men are created equal, not that all men should be kept equal.
I did not say it was anyone in particulars fault. What I DID say was that is is not always the persons fault. There are many factors that play into this that you are simple ignoring.

Also, we are not talking about giving people free rides or being created equal. It has to do with the fact that EVERY citizen should be able to get a chance to move up in society. That is the reason this country is known as "the land of opportunity". Moving up in class and stature are critical to the way everything works. The government and the rich would like everyone to think that if a person is of a lower class it is always entirely there fault. Point is they want to stay in power and in the ruling class.

This is simple sociology. (Which of coarse is slowly being eliminated by the government and rich)

Quote:
how is this necessarily true in any way?
Pretty simple... You get layed off and there are no jobs that you can immediately go to. You still need money to pay rent/etc so what do you do? Get the only jobs available which happen to be underpaid minimum wage jobs.

Quote:
i don't support trickle-down economics either, but this is just an outright lie.
Same argument I have been making this entire time. Workers had terrible working conditions, very low wages, while the upper class business owners received government help and did nothing about it.
*Shave one of my legs to pretend its a girl in my bed crew*
Dr_Rez is offline   Reply With Quote