Music Banter - View Single Post - The 60's Psych Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2009, 12:30 PM   #104 (permalink)
jazzrocks
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin B. View Post
I still have no idea of how to adequately describe the music on the first three albums by the Mothers of Invention. I took one glance at the cover of Freak Out in the record bins and I was in love. The cover of Freak Out had a prominent sticker that said "This music has no commerical potential" which made me decide I couldn't afford NOT to buy this album.

Once I managed sneak "Help I'm A Rock" on the turntable to play for members of my unsuspecting elementary school music appreciation class. About two minutes into the yowling chaos of the song, my music teacher psysically dragged out of class and walked me to the principal's office. I was suspended creating a disturbance and making mockery of my music class. Pretty subversive stuff.

Me personally, I class "Freak Out" well the the more experimental stuff on the album as experimental rock. You hear strong jazz and avant influences. The Return of the Son of Monster Magnet sounds wild and Alvin and the Chipmunks at the end? lol

As for the Beatles the Anthology version of "Norwegian Wood" that sounds like the start of their psychedelic sound. I never got the American connection to be honest. I think their biggest American influences where the Byrds, Dylan and the Beach Boys but I don't really hear their influence on the Beatles psychedelic sound.
jazzrocks is offline   Reply With Quote