Music Banter - View Single Post - What are you reading right now?
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2009, 02:41 PM   #1088 (permalink)
sleepy jack
isfckingdead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible Lizard View Post
The film had no visceral style to it, Orwell was all ideas and no execution.
No real charm or pleasure in reading it, just simple and dry.

The theme and implications of 1984 are timeless true enough, but Bradbury is a better writer. I guess enjoyment in the process of storytelling is something you tight-ass literary elite pricks, wouldn't know **** about.

I suggest a healthy helping of Edgar Rice Burroughs, Miyazki, and Tezuka.

And Ethan, John Updike hasn't been dead that long, show the man some respect asswipe.
I didn't even know Updike died recently; either way you missed my point. Good writing is about ideas (after all this is what a story is) not about flowery descriptions and overusing metaphors. The point I was getting at with Updike is he IS all execution (and the quality of his execution is one that's up for debate) and as a result of this not a very good writer. But hey if phrases like "groaning concussions" and "tinkling shivers" make stories appear well-written to you than whatever, have fun with your imagery wanking.
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote